Contribute To Web Platform Docs
Web Platform Docs are only as good as our contributors make them. And anyone can be a contributor. Interested? Here's how to get involved.
Where To Start
Step 1: Get an Account.
Anyone is welcome to make changes to the pages on docs.webplatform.org. First, create an account. Then log in and edit pages. It's that easy.
Step 2: Make a Change.
Do you see a mistake on a page that needs to be fixed? Something that can could be written better? Information that's inaccurate or old? Well, jump in — go ahead and change the page. Really. Just fix it. We need lots of people contributing more than we need perfection.
Scared you'll make a mistake? Try our practice page. You can make mistakes there without hurting anything.
Web Platform Docs currently uses MediaWiki, the same software that drives Wikipedia. If you are trying to format something, this syntax cheat sheet might be helpful.
Step 3: Join the Group Email List and Introduce Yourself.
Next, sign up for our group email. This is where everyone who's involved talks to each other. Join the list by emailing an empty message with the subject “subscribe” to public-webplatform-request from the email address you'd like to use.
If you've never used a mailing list, take note of the following. Mailing lists at w3.org are handled with two addresses, one that has the word -request, that is a self-service bot, and the main mailing list. You just need to remember that the conversation happens on public-webplatform (i.e. without -request).
Once you are on the list, please email the group and introduce yourself. Who are you? What would you like to contribute? Are you unsure of what to work on — that's fine. Reach out to us, and we'll be happy to find something for you. Do have have a suggestion on how WPD can be better? We'd love to hear it.
You can read the archives and learn more about how the email list works on the lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webplatform archive site.
Begin reviewing, marking, and editing pages using these resources:
- Go to the Getting Started page to find lists of pages that need specific attention
Understand the WebPlatform project's mission and policies
- Watch the shorter project overview video or the longer project video to learn about the goals of the WebPlatform wiki.
- Read the WPD/FAQ and WPD/Policy to learn more about the project and how we work.
- Check out WPD/Projects to learn about recent initiatives
Old Guide (about to disappear)
Step 1: Get an Account.
- Sign up to edit the wiki.
- A verification is emailed. If you don't see the message in your email inbox, check your spam folder.
Ancient Things Found
- Is this supposed to be retired? I like this:
- This should be reworked but its good: WPD/Contributors_Guide/reviewer_checklist (was in Meta: namespace too)
- Also with WPD/Infrastructure/Bugs